Media Centre & News
Air Conditioning Policy Statement
The Institution’s objective is to encourage the adoption of energy efficient design solutions which achieve environmental, functional requirements and air quality standards.
- To encourage building services engineers to adopt a rational approach to the use of air conditioning in new and refurbished buildings.
- To encourage building services engineers to adopt a holistic approach to design solutions which utilise available opportunities for passive energy use.
- To encourage the use of refrigerants or alternatives that minimise environmental damage in accordance with the policy defined in the CIBSE guidance note GN1:2000 "CFCs, HCFCs, HFC's and halons".
- To support the Government’s initiative of reviewing building regulations to include demonstrating compliance with performance requirements for air conditioning and mechanical ventilation by the use of the energy performance index method.
- To support the 1997 Kyoto Protocol on Climate Change which sets targets for reducing the emissions of greenhouse gases for 2008 to 2012.
- To support the Government’s May 1999 initiative “a better quality of life” on sustainable development.