Stairwell Pressurisation – Tuesday 23rd May, 2017
The CIBSE VIC Chapter were pleased at the phenomenal response for this seminar, which sold out prior to the event with 90+ delegates in attendance.
The hot topic of Fires in buildings are inevitable, but when the inevitable happens, it is essential to get the occupants out safely and efficiently. Paul Chasteauneuf,
Technical Support Manager of AG Coombs Pty Ltd, shared some real-world experiences in the design, installation and commissioning of these systems.
He went to cover the importance of the mechanical services engineers to provide protection of escape routes, which is a mandatory requirement and of vital importance. Paul elaborated that mechanical pressure control systems if designed, installed and commissioned properly provide this opportunity to get the occupants out alive and hopefully uninjured. In his presentation, Paul further discussed the following:
· FIP, FFCP and Mech Electrical interface and use.
· The purpose of providing pressurisation to fire isolated exits.
· The impact of different types of floor smoke control systems.
· The importance of floor air relief to pressurised fire isolated exits.
· The control of stair pressure, relief air and floor dampers.
· Test requirements, functional and performance.
· Testing & Commissioning requirements.
· Baseline document requirements.
This seminar was a rare opportunity to become better informed about one of the few systems where mechanical building services engineers provide a safety critical outcome.
As always, the evening closed after some fantastic networking drinks, plus some fabulous catering with the delegates including building services consultants, architects, quantity surveyors, facility managers and students alike.
The CIBSE VIC Chapter would like to thank our impeccable hosts, Aurecon
for hosting the evening.