This course offers a "guided tour" of BS 7671:2008 incorporating amendment 1 : 2011, amendment 2: 2013 and, significantly, amendment 3: 2015 which will affect all new installations from 1 July 2015.
The course provides information on the background, the history and some of the theoretical concepts behind the standard. Starting with a synopsis of the history of the regulations, the delegate will learn some of the underlying principles of electrical installation theory and why the need for prescriptive regulations is necessary.
The trainer will take delegates through each part of the regulations section by section, describing key points of interest, importance and/or debate.
The following key principles are considered:
- Cable sizing
- Protection against overload and fault current
- Protection against electric shock
- Earthing and bonding
- Isolation and switching
- Selection and erection of equipment
- Special installations (see below)
- Inspection and testing
Challenging environments and the particular risks associated with locations such as bathrooms, swimming pools and other non standard installations are explored, although only areas relevant to industrial and commercial application are seriously considered.
Electrical protection and fault levels are also covered with demonstrative examples.
Parameters and factors affecting cable sizing and selection of wiring systems are introduced within the context of the regulations and again, demonstrative examples are used to illustrate the importance of correct design.
Amendment 3 will be fully incorporated into this course and is expected to affect but are not limited to the following areas:
- Consumer units (to come into effect January 2016)
- Wiring in escape routes
- Changes to earth fault loop impedances for all protective devices
- Updated EIC and EICR forms
- Changes to definitions throughout the Regulations
- Understanding and comprehension of the important role wiring regulations have had throughout the electrical industry
- Understanding the limits of application and where current edition sits within the UK regulatory framework
- Appreciation of some of the theory behind the regulations and importance of compliance in terms of electrical safety.
- Knowledge of the geography of the document and how to use the regulations and associated literature.
Who should Attend
- Electrical engineers of all grades (from either a consultancy or contracting background
- Building services engineers (who may specialise in fields other than electrical engineering)
- Property managers
- Building surveyors
And anyone involved in the build process and the high level procurement of electrical installation design or services would find this course useful as a means to increase their understanding and improve their awareness of the design and installation requirements of electrical services.
Registration is open from 09.00 Start Time: 09:30
Latest finish: 17:00
Members Rate: £336 (£280 ex VAT)Standard Rate: £372 (£310 ex VAT)
Ways to Book:
Email: Download Booking Form & email to email@example.com (*invoice / card)
Phone: Call the team on 020 8772 3637 (*invoice / card)
Online: Click the 'Book Now' button at the top right hand side (*card ONLY)
*Payment by invoice is only available to organisations.
Terms and Conditions
- All delegate alterations / cancellations must be received in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CIBSE have the right to cancel or amend training courses. Please contact the training team before making any travel or accommodation arrangements - particularly if you are travelling from outside the UK mainland, as CIBSE will not be liable for any cost incurred by this.
In-house training at your site
Training multiple staff at once is the most cost effective way to develop staff for organisations. All our courses can be delivered at your site (min 6 staff) at discounted rates. These In-House courses are only available in the Uk and Europe. For an In-house quote please email;
Name of course, approximate number of staff and your site address
To contact the CIBSE Training Team with a query please
Email: email@example.com or Call: 020 8772 3637
A1557 CIBSE Member Rate ex VAT £280.00
A1557 Standard Rate ex VAT £310.00