CIBSE Inclusivity and Diversity Panel
CIBSE celebrates Pride Month
This June, we are celebrating and supporting the LGBTQIA+ engineers working in the built environment.
We are delighted to announce CIBSE have made an application to be part of the Pride in London parade on 11 September. If successful, we look forward to representing the LGBTQIA+ engineering community at this important event and will publicise how members can get involved.
Whats it like being LGBT in engineering?
Check out these inspiring video profiles from InterEngineering on what it's like being LGBT in engineering.
Inclusivity Guidelines on sexual orientation and gender identity
Download our Inclusivity Guidelines below for advice on how to to use terminology that is inclusive of everyone, no matter what their sexual orientation or gender identity.
If you have any feedback or suggestions on how CIBSE can better support the LGBTQIA+ community, please get in touch at email@example.com
Download CIBSE's Inclusivity Guidelines
CIBSE Inclusivity and Diversity Panel - shaping the future of CIBSE and the building services profession for improved business performance
Many organisations in the construction and engineering worlds are recognising that we need to improve inclusivity, and CIBSE is no exception. The CIBSE Board has established a Panel to 'advise and support the Institution on all elements of diversity', recognising that some groups are under-represented in our membership and in the profession as a whole.
“CIBSE members, affiliates and staff work every day to advance the art of the possible. Our product, the built environment, is shared and enjoyed by all. We believe that an inclusive culture brings resilience, creativity and innovation – qualities that deliver both better buildings and a stronger building service engineering community. We are working hard to ensure that our organisation and profession are welcoming to all, for the benefit of all.”
Inclusivity Panel Blogs
Communication - Mikhal Ahmed
Meetings and Events - Maria Spyrou and Lucy Pemble
Governance - Atif Rashid
Recruitment - Jo Edwards
CIBSE Role Models
Inclusivity Panel Survey 2019 Results
To advise and engage with the Board on:
- all matters relating to diversity, equality and inclusion - with a view to improving organisational awareness and performance in these areas amongst both staff and the global membership;
- CIBSE's obligations under the Diversity in Engineering Concordat by engaging with frameworks proposed by the Royal Academy of Engineering’s Diversity and Inclusion team and, where beneficial, other professional institutions;
- the prioritisation of inclusivity issues which have particular relevance to CIBSE, together with plans for addressing these issues.
- Chair appointed by the Board for a term of three years
- Vice Chair appointed by the panel
- Up to nine other members, to include representation from CIBSE membership and at least one serving Board member
- Up to three participants with specialist knowledge and expertise who are not members may be co-opted to the panel at any one time.
- Members of the panel shall serve for terms not exceeding three years and then retire or offer themselves for re-appointment.
- Panel membership shall be reviewed every three years, with a view to striking a balance between expertise/experience and maintaining beneficial/controlled turnover of membership for continuity and fresh ideas.
Terms of Reference
- To recommend to the Board actions to increase and improve inclusion within the Institution and ensure the Institution meets its commitments to fairness and equal opportunities.
- To Monitor inclusion within the institution and assist the Board by advising on policies and initiatives to improve inclusion amongst the membership.
- To keep under review the Institution’s policy and practices relating to equality and diversity.
- Advise the CEO and CIBSE Board on the nature of the data to be collected from current members and applicants that may improve inclusion.
- To report to the Board annually and when requested including a list of committee members and any appointments to external organisations.
- Subject to the provisions of Regulation 50 to facilitate communications between CIBSE and other relevant organisations, and to work in collaboration with them, to promote and embed inclusion and diversity in the professions, engineering, construction and related sectors.
- To publicise and regularly showcase the work of inspirational building services engineers from under-represented groups.
- Engage with CIBSE networks formed by and/or in support of underrepresented demographic groups.
Chair: Alexandra Logan
Raynee De Zoysa
Staff responsible: Desiree Blamey & Lucy Aldcroft
We are always looking for suggestions and ways in which we can further our work and push forward. If you have any suggestions or encouraging ideas, we would very much like to hear from you. Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org