CIBSE supports research activities for the advancement of knowledge in all areas of building services engineering. Activities range from supporting academic research as partners, stakeholders and providing a dissemination route of research outputs, to funding research projects such as Doctorate and Post Doctorate studies, Knowledge Transfer Partnerships and Engineering Doctorates.
All of our research activities align with CIBSE's strategic knowledge priorities as follows:
1. Whole life performance
2. Climate impact
- Bringing together all of the elements that contribute to the high performance of buildings over their lifetimes such as whole life costing, post occupancy evaluation, and understanding user behaviour.
- Delivering building performance benchmark guidance and data for different building types.
3. Systems thinking and integration
- Exploring the global opportunities presented by different and extreme weather resulting from a changing climate.
4. Retrofit and refurbishment
- Promoting a holistic approach to services within buildings and buildings within their wider environment, considering interdependencies with existing infrastructure.
- Understanding how advances in technology and the bringing together of systems will affect building services e.g. integration of low carbon and renewable technologies.
- Developing appropriate tools and guidance so that the full benefits of BIM can be realised in practical application.
5. Health and wellbeing
- Focusing on how the energy and environmental performance of existing building stock can be improved, to deliver more efficient, comfortable and healthy buildings.
- Exploring how buildings can contribute to the quality of life, health, and wellbeing of people while keeping to their energy efficiency targets.
- Investigating in particular how indoor air quality and thermal comfort can impact on building occupants' health and performance.
Anastasia Mylona, Head of Research
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8772 3690