Skip to content

Assessment of Qualifications

If you are looking to obtain Engineering Council (EngC) Registration at IEng or CEng level you need to hold the required accredited qualifications or qualifications of an equivalent standard.

What are the requirements for IEng/CEng registration?

The requirements can be found here,  we also hold regular qualification requirement webinars that you can attend which explain the requirements in detail and provide an opportunity to ask any questions you may have.

How can I tell if my qualifications are accredited?

The Membership team can confirm if your qualification is accredited.

To ascertain if your qualification/s are accredited please submit the following information:

  • University or College
  • Full title of qualification and award given
  • Date course commenced
  • Course duration
  • Date qualification obtained
  • Mode of study (Full time/Part time)
  • Year of Entry into course (ie entered in Year 1/Year 2 due to exemptions)

Email full details of your degree qualifications to or call the Membership team on +44(0)20 8772 3650.

My qualifications are not accredited, can I still obtain IEng/CEng?

Yes, our Individual Case Procedure Panel can assess your qualifications to see if they meet the academic equivalent for IEng or CEng. Their assessment is based on the Engineering Council’s learning outcome requirements for accredited qualifications.

How do I have my unaccredited qualification/s assessed?

Complete our online Qualification Assessment Form and we shall advise you if your qualifications meet the requirements for either IEng and/or CEng and your eligible route to obtain Engineering Council Registration and Membership. Before applying please read the requirements below.

Applying Online

You will be prompted to sign in or register for a MyCIBSE user account before proceeding.  If you are new to CIBSE register as a new user.  Please do not register for a new account if you are a member of CIBSE or have registered previously.

Do I need my certificate/s and transcripts?

Yes. Before applying online please ensure that you have copies of your qualification certificates and transcripts* separated into one document per qualification.  If these are not in English then we will require both the originals and official translations.**
*An academic transcript will list all the modules or subjects studied in each year and the marks received.
** An official translation is a translation that has been certified as accurate.

Is there a fee for this process?

Qualification Assessment is free for those who already hold CIBSE membership, however there is an £85 charge for non-members.  If you apply for membership within 6 months of assessment, this fee will be deducted from your first subscription payment.  You can take advantage of this offer and gain access to all our membership benefits by joining as an affiliate member – sign up today!

When will I hear the result of my assessment?

You will be notified of our Panel’s assessment by email confirmation 4-6 weeks after receipt of your Qualification Assessment Form.

Useful Links

Find your Grade of Membership

Membership Briefing Webinars

Membership Briefing Sessions

Professional Registration - why Register?

Help for Applicants

Accredited Courses

Subscription Rates and Fees