- Light, vision & colour review
- Principles of lighting design
- Design aspirations
- Design considerations
- Calculation principles
- Application toolbox: Lamps, luminaires & controls
The course will explain the principles behind the process of the art and science of lighting design, the ethos behind good lighting and how to deliver sustainable solutions though design and use of appropriate lamps, luminaires and controls.
Light, vision & colour review: a review of the fundamentals of light, vision & colour. The course assumes some basic knowledge of these areas but a review will set the scene for the rest of the course content. A complete understanding in this subject area is crucial to understanding the application of lighting design.
Principles of lighting design: the first principles of lighting design; why and how we apply light and how we design lighting for people.
Design aspirations: the desirable outcomes of lighting design application; what we aspire to achieve through good lighting design and how we can achieve it.
Design considerations: the factors which influence our decision making in lighting design that may prevent us from achieving the aspiration goals. The art of ensuring that the drivers behind these criteria are satisfied without compromising the design.
Calculation principles: Lumen method calculation. The principles behind this basic calculation methodology and how it can be used within lighting design application.
Application toolbox: utilising all of the tools available to lighting designers (lamps, luminaires & controls) to find optimum application solutions. This section will include a hands-on application exercise which draws together all of the course components
- Understand the principles behind good lighting design
- Develop a design solution meeting the needs of everyone involved in the process
- Develop sustainable lighting solutions based on the application
- Perform hand calculations to determine the quantity of luminaires required
- Select appropriate lamps, luminaires & controls for the application
Who Should Attend:
A basic level of lighting knowledge is required; although the fundamentals are included, it is for review rather than first introduction. Anyone who has been in the industry who is embarking on a career (or has recently started) in lighting design should attend. It will be useful for anyone involved in the specification sales market to have a greater understanding of the role of lighting design and designers in specification.
This course would benefit anyone who has attended or plans to attend the LIF Certificate course as it will give a grounding for that course.
Registration is open from 09.00 Start Time: 09:30
Latest finish: 17:00
Members Rate: £336 (£280 ex VAT)Standard Rate: £372 (£310 ex VAT)
Ways to Book:
Email: Download Booking Form & email to firstname.lastname@example.org (*invoice / card)
Phone: Call the team on 020 8772 3637 (*invoice / card)
Online: Click the 'Book Now' button at the top right hand side (*card ONLY)
*Payment by invoice is only available to organisations.
Terms and Conditions
- All delegate alterations / cancellations must be received in writing to: email@example.com
- CIBSE have the right to cancel or amend training courses. Please contact the training team before making any travel or accommodation arrangements - particularly if you are travelling from outside the UK mainland, as CIBSE will not be liable for any cost incurred by this.
In-house training at your site
Training multiple staff at once is the most cost effective way to develop staff for organisations. All our courses can be delivered at your site (min 6 staff) at discounted rates. These In-House courses are only available in the Uk and Europe. For an In-house quote please email;
Name of course, approximate number of staff and your site address
To contact the CIBSE Training Team with a query please
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: 020 8772 3637
A1567 CIBSE Member Rate ex VAT £280.00
A1567 Standard Rate ex VAT £310.00