- Standard Rate
- £390.00 +VAT
- Member Rate
- £310.00 +VAT
- Electrical Services
This course is primarily aimed at electrical engineers, technical facility engineers, who want a good grounding and understanding of Power System Harmonics and Implications in building services. Engineers do not realise that previously we did not have to worry about Harmonics but in this Modern World, we do not have any inductance in the electrical distribution system.
The course takes you through all aspects of harmonics, calculations, and implications on equipment selection, design applications, specifying, and selecting the most appropriate solutions for your building. The course will provide clear concise notes and summary tables for future reference, to use in your daily activities.
- Better understanding of subject matter and how to design and apply design solutions.
- The course will cover sizing of Transformers, Generators and cables from a Harmonic perspective.
- You will be guided through the process of evaluating the distortion on the sign way and compliance with G5/5 Utility Regulations.
- Overall appreciation of harmonic problems, design mitigation and harmonic calculations and compliance with regulations.
- Modern complex electrical loads like electronic motor control, rectifier plant, Switch Mode Power, Frequency Inverters, Information Technology Equipment etc, produce considerable harmonics with potential consequential effects on both the current and voltage waveforms. This can result in equipment and associated power system failures. This course details the causes, effects and mitigation and associated regulations.
- Harmonic Fundamentals:
- Single & three phase harmonic fundamentals, current & voltage distortion,
- Power factor, four-wire systems, harmonic calculations
- Harmonic Sources
- AC/DC & AC/AC Convertors, including switched mode power supplies, Non-linear equipment, etc.
- Harmonic Effects
- Instant & continuous distortions, flicker, machine vibration & noise.
- Harmonic Mitigation
- Power System design, Power transformer design & Compensation Devices, Factor K and K-Factor transformers
- Electrical engineers of all grades
- Electricians of all grades
- Building services engineers
- Property managers of all grades
- Facility Managers of all grades
- Building surveyors of all grades
This course is also applicable for anyone involved in the build process and the high-level procurement of electrical installation design or services would find this course useful as a means to increase their understanding and improve their awareness of the design and installation requirements of harmonics.
Remote - How to join:
This course will be hosted live online on Microsoft Teams. A Microsoft Teams account is not required, you will be sent a link to join.
You can choose to join on your preferred web browser, or if you already have the Microsoft Teams desktop app, click 'join meeting'. You will then automatically join the course through the app.
The course location will be underneath the respective date, please make your way to the location.
Parking is not available.
The course presentation and any additional materials will be sent to delegates once attendance is confirmed on the day of the course.
We are working towards being more sustainable, therefore we do not recommend materials to be printed.
What is included?
-Full day training with an industry expert trainer
-PDF course materials
- Lunch and refreshments**
**For face-to-face courses
Two simple ways to book:
Card - Use the 'Book Now' button at the top of this web page.
Invoice - Please fill in the booking form here. Please note you are only booked onto the course once Training has processed the form.
* If you are having any difficulties please either email us at [email protected]
Gary has over 40 years in the Building Services Industry and has accumulated a vast level of knowledge and expertise, both technically and commercially.
He has created many new calculation tools, test procedures, monitoring tools and new engineering services design building blocks, suitable for the 23rd / 24th Century. Gary is a very passionate individual and strives for excellence, in every part of the Electrical Engineering Design process.
CIBSE Training reserve the right to make changes to the speakers or programme. The right is also reserved in absolute discretion and without further liability to cancel any seminar when fees paid will be refunded. Acknowledged bookings are firm. Cancellation up to 4 weeks before the course is subject to a charge of 25% of fees due, later cancellation is not accepted but delegate substitution is allowed at any time. We reserve the right to request payment in advance for companies which have not had previous financial transactions with CIBSE Services Ltd.
All delegate alterations / cancellations must be received in writing to: [email protected]
Please note we do not accept card payments via American express
Please contact the training team before making any travel or accommodation arrangements - particularly if you are travelling from outside the UK mainland, as CIBSE will not be liable for any cost incurred.