The Society offers different grades of membership, depending on lighting knowledge and experience.
- Student Membership - available to full time and part-time students
- Affiliate Membership - open to anyone with an interest in light and lighting
- Associate Member (AMSLL) - 2+ years of relevant experience, depending on qualifications
- Member (MSLL) - 5+ years of relevant experience, depending on qualifications
- Fellow (FSLL) - Has made a significant contribution to the lighting industry, whilst also meeting the criteria for MSLL
Existing members of the Society may also wish to upgrade their membership, ensuring that they are receiving the professional recognition that they deserve. Find out more about upgrading your SLL Membership.
All members receive the benefits of membership of CIBSE plus:
- Unlimited online access to all SLL and CIBSE guidance, including the SLL Lighting Guides, the SLL Handbook and the SLL Code for Lighting, with reduced rates for purchasing hard copies of publications
- Free online access to the internationally recognised, Lighting Research & Technology journal
- Professional recognition amongst your peers and employers with use the postnominals, AMSLL (Associate Member), MSLL (Member) and FSLL (Fellow)
- Subscription to the Society's magazine, SLL Light Lines and the CIBSE Journal
- Access to all SLL and CIBSE CPD and social events
- Receive a discounted rate to purchase CIE publications and to attend CIE-UK events (UK only)
- Company membership is also available for design practices and manufacturers through the Sustaining Member and Sponsors in Partnership Schemes.
- NEW! Free access to CIE 234: 2019 A Guide to Urban Masterplanning on request. If you are an existing member and would like to access this CIE publication for free, please email [email protected] (UK only)
- NEW! Providing you are an active member that has renewed their SLL membership subscription for 2022, you will be eligible to apply for the PQP card.
Members of the Institution, in all grades, are required to maintain the highest standards of professional conduct. All members must order their conduct in accordance with the CIBSE Code of Conduct.