Skip to main content

To apply for a professional grade of membership you must have a sponsor to support your application. 

We have two rules on who can be a sponsor:

1. You must have known them for 1 year in a professional capacity. 

2. They must be at the level you are applying for or above. For example, if you were applying for Member (MCIBSE) they would need to hold MCIBSE themselves, or CEng with a different institution. 

We accept sponsors with the equivalence Engineering Council UK registration status from other UK institutions. We also recognise international sponsors and those from the construction industry. (Please confirm with CIBSE Membership if your sponsor is international or from the construction industry before applying)


Your sponsor should be supporting your application through reviewing your Engineering Practice Report and completing their demonstration of competencies form. 

Demonstration of competences form (completed by sponsor)

Your sponsor must provide one paragraph for each overarching competence section (A-E) on how they believe you are competent for the level you are applying for.

Associate (ACIBSE) form

Find out more

Member (MCIBSE) form

Find out more

Fellow (FCIBSE) form

Find out more
Share this page