Members are engaged in leadership roles with technical responsibility, developing solutions to complex problems or situations with significant levels of risk.
You will need to demonstrate the 17 required competences both in your written Engineering Practice Report and during your interview. You can gain Chartered Engineer (CEng) Professional Registration with the Engineering Council with this level of membership.
When should I apply?
UK Applicants | There are two application deadlines a year: 1 February and 1 August.
International Applicants | Anyone based outside of the UK can apply at any time.
For extra support with your application, find out what services are available.
MCIBSE Application Guidance
The application guidance covers:
- Competence criteria
- IEng/CEng requirements
- Application Documents required
- Interview Process
Please note: There is more than one route into MCIBSE or MCIBSE with professional registration. If you do not hold an accredited qualification you can still apply for Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer status through our alternative route.
Ready to apply?
Prepare the following documents (in separate files) before starting your online application:
- Qualification Certificates (and transcripts) in English
- 4000-5000 word Engineering Practice Report
- Organisational Chart – clearly indicating your role
- Development Action Plan
- MCIBSE Demonstration of Competences - statement completed by your Sponsor
- Sponsor’s name and email address
- Your ID (passport, driver’s licence, national identity card)
- Debit or credit card – you will pay the application fee and interview fee at the final stage. The application fee will be waived for current CIBSE members.
There is more than one route into our Member (MCIBSE) grade. Please ensure you select the relevant route below.
If you're wondering about the best pathway to Chartership, want to check your qualification accreditation, or hold a qualification from a European/International institution - we're here to help.
Find out more about Professional Registration, explore our alternative routes, and understand the support you need.
Contact the CIBSE Membership team
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 (0) 20 8772 3650