Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a long term commitment to undertake the ‘systematic maintenance, improvement and broadening of knowledge and skills'. It is about learning and putting into practice new competences year after year, and investing in your future.
As a member of CIBSE you are required by the Code of Professional Conduct to maintain your professional competence. The Institution provides clear guidance and support for professional development, enabling you to develop in your career.
The CIBSE CPD Guidance will provide you with guidance on different CPD activities and how to go about recording your CPD. You can plan, record and reflect your CPD in CIBSE's online professional development portal, 'mycareerpath'.
Mandatory CPD from 2024
With the building services industry undergoing a paradigm shift, as it strives to improve the energy efficiency of new and existing buildings and make them inherently safer, members of CIBSE need to focus their learning and development on key industry issues.
As such, from January 2024, all* CIBSE Licentiates, Associates, Members and Fellows will be required to undertake and reflect on two mandatory semi-structured activities, one on sustainability and one on building safety.
Look out for the icons across CIBSE materials to signpost you to relevant CPD opportunities.
*For members in our Australia and New Zealand region, your CPD requirements can be viewed here.
CIBSE Licentiate, Associate, Member and Fellows are required to:
- Take ownership of their learning and development needs
- Undertake a variety of development activities
- Including at least one semi-structured CPD activity on Sustainability (from 1 January 2024)
- Including at least one semi-structured CPD activity on Building Safety (from 1 January 2024)
- Record their CPD activities
- Reflect on what they have learned or achieved through their CPD activities
- Reflect on at least two CPD activities per year, and any activity over five hours long
- Evaluate their CPD activities against objectives
- Review and update their professional development plan
- Support the learning and development of others
If you reside in our Australia and New Zealand region, your CPD requirements can be viewed here.