The International Professional Engineer (IntPE) professional qualification is awarded by the International Professional Engineers Agreement, which is part of the International Engineering Alliance. The UK national member of these bodies is the Engineering Council.
Professional registration as an IntPE is intended to enable registrants to gain easier admission to the national registers of IntPE members' jurisdictions. Successful applicants will be authorised to use the designatory letters IntPE (UK).
A registrant can expect to have minimal scrutiny of their qualifications and professional development when registering with a participating engineering institution.
Current listing of signatory countries
The IntPE (UK) qualification is open to Chartered Engineers who are registered with the Engineering Council and who meet the following requirements:
- an accredited degree recognised under the Washington Accord, or an equivalent academic qualification
- the competence for independent practice as a professional engineer as exemplified by the International Engineering Alliance competency profile
- at least seven years of post-graduate experience
- at least two years of responsibility for significant engineering work
- maintaining continuing professional development
Please note: Chartered Engineers who do not hold an accredited degree recognised under the Washington Accord, or equivalent academic qualification, are currently not eligible to apply for IntPE (UK) registration.
The Application Process
Wednesday 05 April 2023
Wednesday 06 September 2023
Unfortunately, there are no extensions on these dates. If you do not submit your application by the deadline, it will be reviewed at the next available date.
Once CIBSE has checked your application it will be forwarded to the next Engineering Council international registration committee which awards the title on behalf of the Engineers Mobility Forum. This committee meets four times a year. Please allow a minimum of 6 months from the submission of your application, to receiving the decision on your registration.
How to apply
To apply, please submit the following documents to CIBSE:
- A completed IntPE application form
- An engineering experience record detailing your responsibility and accountability
- Organisational charts that show your position in your company
- A detailed CPD record covering the last 24 months
- A copy of each of your degree certificates
- Payment details for a fee of £105.00 (cheque made out to CIBSE or credit card details).
The Engineering Council are very specific about how they would like the application form to be completed. Please make sure that you carefully read the IntPE Applicant Guidance Notes to ensure that the form is completed correctly.
Renewing your registration
When do I renew?
Registration renewals are due every 5 years. The Engineering Council administers these directly.EngC Registration team