Low Carbon Buildings and Energy Infrastructure for Local Authorities
Who Should Attend
A full overview and agenda, need to know information, and booking instructions can be found on the individual upcoming course pages. Click on a course below to view.
Live Online Training | 6 CPD Hours | 10:00-16:00
CIBSE Training COVID-19 Update.
This course is currently not scheduled to run for the rest of 2021.
Sign up to receive CIBSE Training email updates
- Overview of the policies and drivers that are leading to the more widespread uptake of LZC technologies and the direct and indirect implications for local authorities
- Overview of planned and potential future changes to policy and legislation
- Review of the key measures and technologies for reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions in buildings including the applicability for different building types, key considerations, design implications, technical issues, operation and maintenance requirements, costs, environmental benefits, financial benefits etc
- Review of the financial opportunities including the FIT and RHI schemes and Green Deal
- Methodologies for assessing the opportunities for the uptake different measures and technologies
- Identifying and assessing larger community-scale infrastructure
- Key opportunities for addressing energy use and CO2 emissions
- Analysing energy strategies for new buildings
- Review of different delivery vehicles and funding sources
- Examples of good practice and key learning from schemes, projects and policies implemented across the UK
This course has been designed to give an overview of the areas where local authorities have the potential to make positive interventions to reduce CO2 emissions from energy use in buildings. It will be relevant to officers and members involved in planning, development control, procurement, property services, sustainability and energy management.
Introduction to existing and forthcoming regulations and policy and their implication for local authorities, including:
- Planning, Energy & Climate Change Acts
- Low Carbon Transition Plan and Renewable Energy Strategy
- Feed in Tariff and Renewable Heat Incentive
- Carbon Reduction Commitment
- Forthcoming revisions of Building Regulations and SAP
- Definition of methodology to deliver Zero Carbon buildings
- Code for Sustainable Homes and BREEAM
- Changing direction of planning policies including a new PPS on Climate Change and the draft replacement London Plan
- The Green Deal
Introduction to delivering CO2 emissions reductions through energy efficiency measures and the application of decentralised, low and zero carbon technologies, covering:
- Understanding the application of different measures and technologies, the technical and design implications and capital and operational costs
- The role of planning, including developing policies and targets
- Identifying and mapping 'energy opportunities'
The role of local authorities in reducing CO2 emissions and delivering low carbon infrastructure:
- Carbon management and greening operations
- Understanding the relationship between planning, regulations and other local authority activities
- Identifying and delivering low carbon energy infrastructure
- Understanding and analysing energy strategies
- Potential funding sources and approaches to delivery, including ESCOs
- Sufficient understanding of the policy, regulations and drivers for reducing CO2 emissions to be able to assess the implications of these for specific projects
- Sufficient understanding to discuss the direction of future regulations and planning policy and the implications of these on specific projects
- Be able to calculate returns from the FIT and RHI schemes
- Be able to assess the applicability of different measures and technologies and apply rule of thumbs and methodologies to understand the environmental benefits, capital costs and running costs/savings
- Be able to critically appraise an energy strategy
Who Should Attend
The course will be relevant to officers and members involved in planning, development control, procurement, property services, sustainability and energy management.
Start Time: 10:00
Latest Finish: 16:00
Standard Rate: £295+ VAT
Members Rate: £236+ VAT
Training multiple staff at once provides the opportunity for your organisation to have a training package crafted to your specific needs.
Discover the options available to suit your company.
To contact the CIBSE Training Team with a query please