The role of the Building Services Engineering Technician is associated with the supervision of installation commissioning or servicing of environmental technologies on construction projects.
Typically construction site based with occasional time in offices, job titles can include: Assistant Project Engineer, Assistant Engineer or Building Services Site Technician. In the case of SME building services engineering specialist contractors, the roles are likely to include Assistant Project Managers, Project Managers and Site Managers.
Recommended duration for this apprenticeship is three years but this will depend upon the previous experience of the apprentice and access to opportunities to gain the full range of competence.
The assessment plan for the occupational standard ensures that successful candidates can satisfy the requirements for Engineering Council registration as an Engineering Technician and CIBSE Licentiate membership (EngTech LCIBSE). All applicants can opt for professional review as part of their CIBSE EPA interview.
- Level 2 Maths and English, and
- Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Built Environment (Construction Management)
- Satisfactory completion of the knowledge, skills and behaviours set out in the assessment plan for the standard
- Evidence of achieving the underpinning qualification for the standard
- Employer and training provider confirmation of readiness for End Point Assessment
Download the ST0041 assessment plan here.
The ST0041 occupational standard can be viewed here.
Level 4 - Building Services Engineering Technician (ST0041)
Download our guidance documentation which covers:
- Gateway eligibility criteria, including the required qualifications
- How to apply
- The technical project brief and written report
- The interview
- The knowledge, skills and behaviours
Ready to apply?
If you have met the readiness criteria to enter the EPA gateway, complete our online EPA gateway application form.
Before applying online:
Please ensure you have to hand the following information and documents (in separate files) as you will be required to provide and submit them online:
- Level 2 Maths and English Qualification Certificates
- Certificates required for the Standard (BTEC/HNC/Degree)
- Photo ID
- Employer Sponsor name and email
- Training Provider contact name and email
- Unique Learner Number (10 digit number - you can obtain this from your Training Provider)
- Organisation Chart (clearly indicating your position)
- Development Action Plan
Once you have clicked the link to apply, you will be prompted to sign in or register for a MyCIBSE user account before proceeding to our online application form. If you are new to CIBSE, please continue to register as a new user.
Contact the CIBSE EPA Team
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 (0) 20 8772 3650