Façade engineers concern themselves with everything to do with a building's external envelope above ground level. Many names can be used to describe the envelope, for instance:
- Curtain wall
- Other materials and cladding types
- Some façade engineers are also skilled in roofing.
Façade Engineers will consider the performance of such materials and systems in various respects:
- Weather tightness
- Structural behaviour
- Interaction with the primary structure
- Thermal gains and losses through the façade
- Occupant comfort and energy efficiency
- Natural light admittance
- Fire behaviour of the building envelope
- Acoustic performance
- Safety and serviceability
- Maintenance and buildability
Façade engineers provide advice on both existing and new buildings. They may be involved in the design, working alongside the architect, QS and structural and mechanical engineers, or may work within contracting or manufacturing. Alternatively, they may be involved in surveying or diagnostic and remedial work. Some façade engineers are involved in research and testing.