Graduate membership is a transitional grade for those who are working towards Associate (ACIBSE) or Member (MCIBSE).
To become a Graduate, you will normally be working in building services engineering undertaking training and development and working towards achieving the Competence Criteria outlined in our factsheets A21 or M21.
To apply, you should be a recent graduate and should have completed one of the following:
- A Bachelors' degree in an engineering discipline
- A Bachelors' degree in science or technology (subject to assessment by CIBSE to ensure engineering content and relevance)
- A Master’s degree in an engineering discipline (Msc/MEng)
- An Engineering Doctorate (EngD)
- International qualifications in an engineering discipline at Bachelors' level or higher
Before applying online, you will need to have one document containing:
- Copies of your original degree certificates/diplomas
- Official English translation (a translation that has been certified as accurate), if the originals are not in English
- Transcripts (optional) - both original and English translation. Only required if your qualifications are not accredited. CIBSE may require them if a qualification assessment is needed.
If you have previously held Graduate membership with CIBSE, please contact the Membership Department to reinstate your membership. See www.cibse.org/reinstate for more information.
Graduate members enjoy valuable benefits including a huge range of knowledge resources: access not just to products and publications, but to contacts and networks of established professionals via the Institution's Regions, its Societies and Special Interest Groups. On approval of your application CIBSE will confirm to you if your qualification(s) are accredited for IEng/CEng, your routes to upgrade and how you can obtain MCIBSE CEng.
Interim Registration with the Engineering Council
As a graduate member, CIBSE can register you for interim Engineering Council registration, which is based on your level of academic qualification. Interim registration provides official confirmation that you have completed the academic requirements for IEng/CEng and are working towards the competence requirements.
View the academic requirements for IEng and CEng
If your qualifications meet the standard you will receive an interim registration certificate, use of the professional title for interim IEng/CEng and be added to the Engineering Council Registry. Further detail on interim registration can be found on the Engineering Council Website.
Simply add 'EC Interim Registration' to your online graduate application if you wish to apply. There is a small entry fee payable.