This document aims at establishing the minimum design standards for the design of HVAC and mechanical systems for buildings in Abu Dhabi. Topics covered include:
- Design codes, standards and guidance
- Local codes, standards and guidance
- International codes, standards and guidance
- Climate zone and external conditions
- Minimum building envelope requirements
- External design conditions
- Indoor design conditions
- Cooling and heating load calculations
- Internal loads
- Infiltration rates
- Diversity and safety factor
- Building pressurisation
- Air movement
- Noise and vibration control
- Energy conservation
- Cooling towers
- Chiller coefficient of performance (CoP)
- Hydraulic pressures and temperature
- Fire and life safety systems
This publication does not relieve the designer of responsibility for accurately determining design arrangements and/or complying with the local authority requirements and/or relevant international codes or regulatory requirements. It should be used for initial design guidance, and provides minimum design requirements for specific design issues.
This guide has been produced in good faith by the CIBSE UAE Technical Committee to promote best engineering practices in Dubai, without legal or financial liability of CIBSE UAE or the authors, in order to assist engineers coming from elsewhere in the world to work in Dubai, UAE. It should be read alongside existing CIBSE guidance relevant to the region, including Buildings for Extreme Environments: Arid.
Authored by the CIBSE United Arab Emirates Technical Committee:
Isaac Coker (Chairperson) (WSP); Reid Donovan (AECOM); Hassan Younes (Griffin Consultants); Keith Perry (Polypipe); Farah Naz (Buro Happold); Conor Moore (AECOM); Azmi Abou Hoda (EMergy); Jim Sebastian (Ecoval).