Members are engaged in leadership roles with technical responsibility, developing solutions to complex problems or situations with significant levels of risk.
You will need to demonstrate the required 17 competences in your written Engineering Practice Report and at interview. You can gain Chartered Engineer (CEng) Professional Registration with the Engineering Council with this level of membership.
When should I apply?
UK Applicants | There are two application deadlines a year: 1 February and 1 August
International Applicants | Anyone based outside of the UK can apply at anytime.
Step 1: Download our MCIBSE Application Guidance
Download our guidance which covers:
- Competence criteria
- IEng/CEng requirements
- Application Documents required
- Interview Process
Please note: There is more than one route into MCIBSE or MCIBSE with registration. If you do not hold an accredited qualification you can still apply for Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer status through our alternative route. Please see our guidance for more information.
Before you apply: Documents required to apply for MCIBSE
Please ensure you have the following documents (in separate files) as you will be required to provide and submit them online. Please see the application guidance for details on the requirements and the competence criteria:
- Qualification Certificates (and Transcripts) in English
- 4000-5000 word Engineering Practice Report
- Organisational Chart – clearly indicating your position within your company
- Development Action Plan
- MCIBSE Demonstration of Competences - statement completed by your Sponsor
- Sponsor’s name and email
- Your ID (passport, driver’s licence, national identity card)
- Debit or credit card – the application fee and interview fee will be payable at the final stage of your online application. The application fee will be waived for current CIBSE members.
Ready to apply?
There is more than one route into our Member (MCIBSE) grade. Please ensure you click on the right application process.
Learn more about Professional Registration and Alternative & International routes.
Unsure whether your qualification is accredited? Unsure of your pathway to Chartership? Accredited with a European or International institution?
See our various pathways and support methods to support your journey.