The Building Services Design Engineer will manage a team of engineers and technicians and collaborate with other construction professionals to design the various services found in buildings and infrastructure projects. Design engineers can work in a design consultancy, contractor, or a manufacturing company. The work typically includes systems such as renewable and emerging technologies, energy management, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, drainage, lighting, power, water services, controls, life-safety systems, communications and building transportation (e.g. lifts).
Recommended duration for this apprenticeship is 5 years but this will depend upon the previous experience of the apprentice and access to opportunities to gain the full range of competence.
The assessment plan for the occupational standard ensures that successful candidates can satisfy the requirements for Engineering Council registration as Incorporated Engineer and CIBSE Associated member (IEng ACIBSE). All applicants can opt for professional review as part of their CIBSE EPA interview.
- Level 2 Maths and English, and
- Level 6 BEng (Hons) Building Services Degree, or BSc (Hons) Building Services Degree, mapped to UK-Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) for Incorporated Engineer
- Satisfactory completion of the knowledge, skills and behaviours set out in the assessment plan for the standard
- Evidence of achieving the underpinning qualifications for the standard
- Employer and training provider confirmation of readiness for End Point Assessment
Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship - Building Services Design Engineering (ST0372)
This video will guide you on how to complete your End Point Assessment Engineering Practice Report.
Download our guidance documentation which covers:
- Gateway eligibility criteria, including the required qualifications
- How to apply
- The technical project brief and written report
- The interview
- The knowledge, skills and behaviours
Ready to apply?
If you have met the readiness criteria to enter the EPA gateway, complete our online EPA gateway application form.
Before applying online:
Please ensure you have to hand the following information and documents (in separate files) as you will be required to provide and submit them online:
- Level 2 Maths and English Qualification Certificates
- Certificates required for the Standard (BTEC/HNC/Degree)
- Photo ID
- Employer Sponsor name and email
- Training Provider contact name and email
- Unique Learner Number (10 digit number - you can obtain this from your Training Provider)
- Organisation Chart (clearly indicating your position)
- Development Action Plan
Once you have clicked the link to apply, you will be prompted to sign in or register for a MyCIBSE user account before proceeding to our online application form. If you are new to CIBSE, please continue to register as a new user.