The group emphasises the importance of the building services engineer in the design, management and operation of intelligent buildings.
Terms of reference
- Assessment of whole life value of intelligent buildings.
- Innovative approaches such as smart materials and nanotechnology, and embedded sensor technology.
- Development of a strategy for healthy and sustainable buildings using appropriate levels of technology
- Integration strategies for products (systems), processes and people
An intelligent building is one that provides a productive and cost-effective environment based on three basic elements:
- People (services users/facilities management),
- Products (fabric, structure, facilities) and
- Processes (automation, control, systems, maintenance, performance) and the interrelationships between them.
Intelligent Buildings help building owners, property managers and occupants realise their goals in the areas of costs, lifetime energy management, well-being, convenience, safety, long term flexibility and marketability to achieve buildings which have high social, environmental and economic values.