With over 3500 members globally, the Society of Light and Lighting is recognised as an authority on lighting and welcomes all who are interested in any aspect of the world of light, lighting, and its design or application. SLL is a learned Society, promoting education and knowledge transfer in a variety of ways, including seminars and an events programme which runs all year round.
SLL AGM, Awards & Presidential Address 2019, St Martin in the Field. Photo: Michael Eleftheriades
Lighting designers, consulting engineers, researchers, students, academics, manufacturers, sales staff and many more all contribute to and are members of the SLL.
The Society offers different grades of membership, depending on lighting knowledge and experience. These include:
Existing members of the Society may also wish to upgrade their membership, ensuring that they are receiving the professional recognition that they deserve. Find out more about upgrading your SLL Membership.
Photo: Michael Eleftheriades
All members receive the benefits of membership of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers plus:
- Unlimited online access to all SLL and CIBSE guidance, including the SLL Lighting Guides, the SLL Handbook and the SLL Code for Lighting, with reduced rates for purchasing hard copies of publications
- Free online access to the internationally recognised, Lighting Research & Technology journal
- Professional recognition amongst your peers and employers with use the postnominals, AMSLL (Associate Member), MSLL (Member) and FSLL (Fellow)
- Subscription to the Society's magazine, SLL Light Lines and the CIBSE Journal
- Access to all SLL and CIBSE CPD and social events
- Receive a discounted rate to purchase CIE publications and to attend CIE-UK events (UK only)
- Company membership is also available for design practices and manufacturers through the Sustaining Member and Sponsors in Partnership Schemes.
- NEW! Free access to CIE 227: 2017 Lighting for Older People and People with Visual Impairment in Buildings on request. If you are an existing member and would like to access this CIE publication for free, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (UK only)
Members of the Institution, in all grades, are required to maintain the highest standards of professional conduct. All members must order their conduct in accordance with this Code. Click here to view the CIBSE Code of Conduct.