The boundaries between the many disciplines involved in the process of design, supply, installation, testing and operation of building façades is becoming blurred. For buildings to achieve a high energy efficiency and create a comfortable environment for occupants, there must be appropriate dialogue between architects, façade engineers, building services engineers, structural engineers and contractors.
The Society of Façade Engineering brings these people together in a forum where they can work together to advance knowledge and practice in facade engineering, promote good practice and ensure that today's increasingly complex building façades meet the many and varying performance criteria. In particular, it addresses the complex issues in building physics of thermal insulation, ventilation, lighting, solar control, and acoustics.
The Society of Façade Engineering was formed in 2004 as a joint initiative of CIBSE, IStructE and the RIBA. It is governed by a Council drawn from among its members and administered by CIBSE. The Society acts as an axis for those involved in the façade industry to determine the credentials of members and as a surety for those seeking to employ them. Membership is open to all individuals who have an involvement in façade engineering.
• Professional recognition (ASFE, MSFE, FSFE)
• Membership certificate
• Free access to the Knowledge Portal (KP), a comprehensive reference tool that allows unlimited access to search, view online and download the full range of CIBSE published guidance, including all the Guides, Commissioning Codes, Applications Manuals, Technical Memoranda, Lighting Guides, Research Journals and more.
• Reduced prices on CIBSE hardcopy publications and events
• Input into education in façade engineering
• CIBSE Journal monthly
• Regular technical meetings and networking opportunities in the UK, Middle East and Hong Kong
• The Society provides speakers on façade engineering topics at numerous international conferences
• Opportunities to provide input into publications, documents and legislation relating to façade engineering
• A window to promote the importance of best practice in façade engineering to other professional disciplines and the public
SFE - What's in it for me?
Contact the SFE
The SFE Board for 2022-2023:
Chair - Chris Aspinall, Façade Consultant
Vice Chair – Rimmy Vij, WSP UK Ltd
Hon Secretary - Russell Cole, Arup
Hon Treasurer - Aneel Kilaire, Ramboll
Membership and Education Committee and Fire Committee– David Metcalfe, CWCT
Technical Committee - Will Stevens, Interface Facades
Hubs a– Neesha Gopal, LendLease
Events - Neesha Gopal, LendLease
Patrick Ryan – Patrick Ryan Associates Ltd
Kenneth Zammit – Thornton Tomasetti
Dr Stephen Lo, University of Bath
Damian Rogan - Eckersley O'Callaghan
Zara Edwards - AECOM
Simon Bate - Buro Happold
Saverio Pasetto- Skanska